The Municipal Council brought a decision to rent, for accomodation of the Town Library, a '' vault number 4'' i.e. a room on the ground floor of the Town Hall, on the right side looking from the Holy Trinity Square. This satisfied the main condition for the library and its good to become possession of the Magistrate, so on the mentioned document ''number 136 GK'' for the first time there was a seal printed in the form of an ellipse, which in German said THE LIBRARY OF THE FREE AND ROYAL CITY OF SOMBOR, which will stay in these premises all to 1920.
In a villge of Srem, Ledinci RADIVOJE-RADA SIMONOVIĆ was born, respected and appreciated doctor by his profession, who left profound trace and remarkable contribution in history, geography, ethnology, sociography and folklore. As a health educator of people, and the closest friend of Laza Kostić, he was also an exceptional documentarist with over 8.000 photo recordings from numerous travels throughout former Yugoslavia, which enriched many a domestic and foreign lexicon, especially scientific editions of Cvijić, who was his friend and associate. As an expert, as well as a diplomat, he was one of the makers of the Memorandum on the Baja Triangle, the official document for the International Commission in Paris, which, after The First War, decided on the border with Hungary. In addition to all this, he was a pioneer of mountain climbing in these parts, to whom a monument on Fruška Gora, on the occasion of hundred years of his birth, was built. He died in Sombor on 26 July 1950.
On the Great Catholic Cemetery of St. Roca, a parson Antun Kekezović consecrated a chapel built with money of a town's senator Istvan Esztergamy. On the right side of the altar there is a box with the letter ''for memory'', where it is written that the chapel had been built in the time of Pope Grgur XVI and emperor Franc I, and after it there are the names of numerous prominent people who were present there.
In the battle of Slankamen, leading 200 horsemen and 600 infantrymen of Sombor and nearby places, DOMINIK DUJO MARKOVIĆ, the first captain and the founder of the long branch of captains of Sombor lost his life. Right after the Turks were gone, in autumn 1687, together with Jure Vidaković, he brought 5000 Bunjevacs to this region, so he and his family were, on 29 May 1690, given a Hungarian hereditary nobleman title by emperor Leopold .
The foundation stone for adaptation of the Town Hall in Sombor was laid, so that it could become suitable for the needs of the same year founded Magistrate of the Free and Royal City of Sombor. Anyway, these were not major works on the ''Castle'' of Count Jovana Brankovića from the year of 1718, which his widow Marija in 1749 sold for 500 golden coins to the Magistrate, because on the city plan from 1763 this building did not stand out of the other buildings in the surrounding.
By a decree, THE CARMELITE MONASTERY was established, and the first five Carmelites who came from Hungarian Carmelite province, priests-monks: father Stjepan Sos, a Hungarian, father Apoliner, a German, father Gerard Tomo Stančić, a Croat, monks brother Matija, a Hungarian, and brother Josip, a Croat, started monastic life. They will temporarily be accomodated in private houses, because the monastic building, where they will move in, will be finished only on 14 May 1905. After the building was finished, the monastery, together with St. Stephen Church, among people called ''Twin Towered Church'', which will be, after long period of construction finished in 1902, will make up a fine architectural composition, giving a particular look to a rim of the Garland of Sombor.
A great fire broke out in Bezdan where 56 objects were destroyed, the Commune building, church and school, all together in the worth of 74.503 forints. The damage was that great because the majority of people were on a fair in Sombor on that day. The donations for them were raised throughout the empire.
In Sombor IVAN KALČAN was born, an important figure in raising the national consciousness of Bunjevacs at the turn of the 19th to 20th century. After finishing the Hungarian Grammar School in Sombor and the Teacher-Training School in Kalocsa, he worked for a short period in Davod (Hungary), and then came to Gradina to teach there and in the other homestead settlements, after which he moved to Sombor where he worked all until he retired. All that time he organized festivities of Bunjevacs, associated in Bunjevac Kolo and various charity associations, organized performances from the life of Bunjevacs, and he himself wrote a three act play Divojačka prosidba, about the national wedding customs of Bunjevacs. He died in Sombor in 1939.